Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What happened to Amy?

March 2, 2010
Hola familia,

On Saturday morning I did a baptismal interview. It was amazing and a very spiritual experience for me and her. After the interview I had to talk to President for something. He answered the phone and said, "Elder Arnold, I was just about to call you. Your sister is okay." A feeling of peace came over me. Then I asked myself what happened? My sister is okay from what? I got a panicked feeling and wanted to know where Amy was, in the hospital or with her mission president. He went on to explain that he had just gotten off of the phone with my Stake President and that there had been a large earthquake in Chile. That was the first that I heard of what happened. Ever since then I have been praying fervently for my little sister to be okay and to be able to help those around her.

We already got the shirts we ordered for the zone. They're pretty cool. I'll send some pictures of them soon. Which reminds me, I have been going picture crazy lately. I have probably a thousand new pictures to send you. I have most of them all ready to send on a DVD.

We walked to church with a family on Sunday. They are already members but have been struggling a little bit lately. The father in the family just passed away. It was really hard for the daughters. They are 15 and 13.

Santos was interviewed for his baptism this upcoming Sunday and he's all good to go. We’re really excited for him. He is a very humble guy. Leonardo has been key in his conversion. Leonardo has set the goal to get the Melchizedek priesthood as soon as he can. He's changed so much lately and doing so well.

During our last weekly planning we prayed for Juan and Briana that they would realize the importance of living the gospel. They haven't been answering our phone calls or making the appointments that we set with them. Then just last night they called us and asked us if we could set up a time to meet. We saw them two hours later! We had an amazing lesson with them. We read out of 1 Nephi 17 where Nephi was commanded to build a boat. And we related how if God was so powerful how could God not help them get married and get her ID. Which is what has been preventing them from getting married. They were really excited to go there this morning and pick it up. We called them this morning to remind them to go and get it. No answer. We'll see what happens.

Transfers are coming up pretty quick. We have ZLC this Friday and then transfers the following Wednesday. I'll let you know what's going to happen next Tuesday.

I was talking to President Belnap this morning about something and he told me that on Thursday one of his friends that is going to be a mission president in a Spanish speaking mission is going to come with Elder Hortin and me so he can ask us questions and watch us plan. That was pretty unexpected and hopefully will be a good experience.

We went with Juan down to Burbank to an appointment we had with Teresa. When we got there she was out in the back working on taking out a big pile of weeds and logs. We jumped right in and started pulling it all apart. It was just what I needed. I wasn't feeling 100% spiritually speaking that day. After working hard for an hour I felt like I got it all out of me. I think it changed Teresa's view of us as well. We should have a great lesson with her when we go back in a couple of days.

I love you all
Elder Ben Arnold

No comments: